Monday, March 28, 2011

#12 Peppermint Thin Mint Cookie

Here's a belated post about a special St. Patrick's Day ice cream: Peppermint Thin Mint Cookie, made with real girl scout cookies!

When I told the girl scout I was buying cookies to turn them into ice cream she told me that I should use the cookie as a spoon to eat the ice cream. So brilliant. Hence forth ice cream shall only be eaten via cookies. Thanks, girl scout!

Dreyer's also makes this ice cream. You can probably buy it at your local grocery store, but what's the fun in that? Wouldn't you rather support the Girl Scouts AND make your own delicious ice cream?

To make this ice cream I followed the basic ice cream recipe and added a 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract and 2 teaspoons of peppermint extract. Then, since this ice cream was for a St. Patrick's day celebration, I added numerous drops of green food coloring until the shade of green accentuated the inner mintiness of the ice cream mixture.

As the ice cream was churning away in the machine I crushed 2 cups of thin mint cookies, but you can use less or more (or even another type of cookie - perhaps mint milanos if thin mints aren't in season) depending upon your own desired cookie/ice cream ratio. A few minutes before the ice cream was done I added the mix-in and voila, peppermint thin mint cookie ice cream!

I also added a decorative, yet functional, layer of thin mint cookies on top before placing the ice cream into the freezer. These cookies can be scooped up or used as spoons. This is probably one of my favorite ice creams so far, primarily because it's mint and that's my favorite flavor OF ALL TIME. In a way it's very similar to Baskin Robbins mint chocolate chip, but instead of chocolate chips, you have chocolaty cookies, which are way better. You really can't go wrong with mint ice cream and thin mint cookies. Delicious.


1 comment:

  1. I need a scoop of this stat! And ample thin mints to use as spoons.

    ReplyDelete