Friday, January 21, 2011

Fancy Food Show

Last weekend I had the opportunity to attend the winter Fancy Food Show in San Francisco. There's only one word to describe it: AMAZING. It's like Comic-Con for foodies - 4.5 miles of exhibit-booths with endless samples of tasty, tasty food. There was a lot of cheese, olive oil, jams, jellies, meats, cookies, crackers, chocolates, candies, ice creams, gelato, teas... everything! Some of the bigger companies present included Jelly Belly, Ghirardelli, Harry & David's, Hickory Farms, and Knott's Berry Farm.

La Tourangelle was there too. I told them how I made pistachio ice cream using their pistachio oil. I also got a little catalogue of all the oils they make - maybe I'll make another ice cream featuring La Tourangelle's flavored oils in the future!

I sampled quite a few ice creams and gelati (plural of gelato!) as well. Double Rainbow Gourmet Ice Creams had an awesome Soy Mint Chip and McConnell's Fine Ice Cream from Santa Barbara had a luxurious Peppermint Bark ice cream.

One of the representatives from Sendai Miso suggested I use their miso soup packets to make miso ice cream, and that he may even be able to obtain a recipe for me! So I got his card and will email him later.

I also met Mike the new owner of Cone Guys, a company based out of Pennsylvania that makes specialty ice cream cones featuring four flavors: chocolate, cookie with mini M&Ms, chocolate chip cookie, and pretzel!

Another interesting product was eCreamery's At Home ice cream flavorings. They currently offer four flavors that can be used in any at home ice cream maker: 3 Cocoa Bean Chocolate, Vanilla Bean, Buttered Caramel, and Tiramisu Cappuccino. I may have to order of few of those and give them a try this year! They even make personalized ice cream and deliver it right to your door. Awesome!

A few other products I sampled and enjoyed were:
Be-Bop Biscotti (a perfect edible accent for a scoop of ice cream)
Amoretti flavor syrups (their large selection of flavors could be used to make a plethora of ice creams!)
Guittard baking chips (these tasty chips come in many different flavors and would make excellent mix-ins!)
Natural Vines Licorice (imagine reducing licorice and making a licorice ice cream?!)


Coming soon - the next ice cream: chocolate with a twist!

2 comments:

  1. I'm curious about the licorice ice cream, but not sure I would like it. Doesn't it seem like it would be too overpowering?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! a friend had miso ice cream in Japan, and now we're trying to replicate it. Were you able to get a recipe?

    ReplyDelete