Saturday, April 16, 2011

#15 German Chocolate Cake

Congratulations to Justin who guessed the Sparkle Motion reference and provided the exact quote I was looking for! Justin, let me know your favorite flavor of ice cream AND/OR any crazy flavor you would like to see brought into existence!

This week I made TWO ice creams. One will be featured in this post and one will be featured next week. Both ice creams were made for Kip of Bierkast and his frequent office parties.

The first ice cream Kip asked for was a German Chocolate Cake-like ice cream. DONE.

After researching some recipes on the internet I devised the following recipe which created an uberchocolatey ultracreamy undeniably delicious German Chocolate Cake ice cream.

First I melted 8 ounces of sweet German baker's chocolate in 1 cup of 1% milk. Then I added 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon corn syrup, and a 1/4 teaspoon corn starch, and then a 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon.

Also, I decided that I would use egg yolks in this ice cream because eggs are typically used in cakes. So I beat 4 egg yolks with a heaping 1/2 cup of sugar. Usually I use 1 cup of sugar, but since the chocolate is already sweetened I didn't want the ice cream to be TOO sweet.

When the chocolate milk portion was sufficiently hot I began to temper the egg/sugar mixture with it until I fully incorporated the egg/sugar mixture into the chocolate milk mixture. The eggs did not curdle this time! (Win.) Next I added 3 cups of cream.

And it was nearly complete.

After chilling in the freezer for about 2 hours I strained the mixture as I poured it into the ice cream machine. Then when it was nearly done churning I mixed-in a 1/2 cup of chopped pecans and 1 cup of sweetened coconut flakes. This is a German Chocolate CAKE ice cream after all.

Then I added a layer of pecans and coconut flakes on top of the ice cream before I put it into the freezer to set.

Here's what the customers say:

"The German Chocolate one was awesome too. Really good mixed with the coconut / pecans ... it tasted like dark chocolate ice cream, but the coconut and pecans really made the flavor complete. My coworkers aren't much for words... I heard 'creamy' a lot and 'damn this is good'. If they don't like it they don't eat it. They ate it."

I agree that it did actually taste like chocolate cake. Personally I found the flavor to be very light and creamy, almost mousse like, but maybe that's because it was beginning to melt a little bit.

Today I had ice cream at a local mom and pop shop. One could also say I was doing some market research. Hehe!

I'm going to try something different with the pictures this time... just because there's so many I want to post, so here they are in chronological order!


1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, so much pressure to choose! I deliberated muchly on this, and realized you have not yet used peanut butter, the nectar of the gods! And my favorite ice cream is cookies 'n cream, so how about some sort of peanut butter cookies...'n cream? Hopefully that's enough of a challenge for you - I don't want your talents to go to waste!

    ReplyDelete